For students who would benefit from advanced courses, there are a number of options in the Red Wing School District. What follows is a listing of advanced courses and/or opportunities. For the most reliable and up-to-date listing, please consult the current Twin Bluff Middle School course catalog and/or the Red Wing High School Program of Study.
Twin Bluff Middle School
6th Grade Enriched Math
Red Wing High School
PSEO (Post-Secondary Enrollment Option)
State program (MN Dept. of Education) which allows high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors to earn college credit while in high school. High school students can participate in PSEO in several ways:
1. Take courses at a post-secondary institution.
2. Take courses offered online taught by a college instructor.
3. Take courses offered at their high school taught by a qualified high school instructor or college instructor (see ‘Concurrent Enrollment’).
Advanced Placement (AP) Courses
Nationally/internationally-recognized college-level courses/exams standardized by the College Board. Earn college credit and placement based on end of course AP Exam scores (scores of 3, 4, or 5 needed for credit).
* AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP Economics, AP Human Geography, AP Language and Composition, AP Literature and Composition, AP Studio Art, AP Physics, AP US History, AP World History
Students earn high school and college credit simultaneously by participating in courses at RWHS taught by RWHS faculty.
* AP Language and Composition, AP Literature and Composition, Organic Chemistry, Psychology
College in the Schools (CIS)
University of Minnesota curriculum taught by teachers at RWHS. Students earn high school and college credit simultaneously.
* German IV, Senior Spanish
Curriculum for Agricultural Science Education (CASE)
Courses focusing on agriculture, food, and natural resources.
* Animal Science, Environmental Science , Plant Science
Restaurant and Food Service program that connects the classroom to the industry.
* Advanced Culinary Arts, Introduction to Culinary Arts
Project Lead the Way (PLTW)
Provider of rigorous and innovative Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) education curricular programs.
* Civil Engineering and Architecture, Digital Electronics, Introduction to Engineering Design, Principles of Engineering
Articulation Agreements/Tech Prep
Formal agreements with a college to accept credit transfers towards a specific academic program. Examples of classes with this potential include:
* Market Management, Retail Business Operations, Information Processing I, Information Processing II, Computer Applications, Advanced Computer Applications, Accounting II, Accounting III, Accounting IV, Intro to Marketing & Salesmanship, Family Living, Exploring Childhood I/II/Internship, Hot Metal Technology, Metals Technology II, Metal Fabrication/Welding I, Metal Fabrication/Welding II, Introduction to Small Gas Engines, Automotive Service and Repair, Architectural Construction Management
Advanced Courses- Grades 8 and 9
These courses are available to students who demonstrate the required skills, knowledge, and capability.
* Gateway to Technology (PLTW), Introduction to Engineering Design (PLTW), Pre-AP Algebra I, Pre-AP Language Arts, Pre-AP Geometry, Pre-AP Science