Students in Transition
If you family is in a temporary or inadequate living situation due to a loss of housing, your child might be eligible for certain educational rights and services. 
The federal government's legal definition of homelessness based on the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act is anyone who...
- Is lacking a regular, fixed and adequate nighttime residence (sub standard housing)
- Is sharing housing due to economic struggles (double-up)
- Is living in a shelter, hotel or motel 
- Is living in a public place not designed for sleeping (cars, parks)
- Is an unaccompanied youth, a child or youth awaiting foster care placement
- Is a child or youth abandoned in a hospital
- Is a migrant child who qualifies under any of the above
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act requires districts to ensure homeless students have access to education and other services they need to meet the same high academic achievement standards as all students. All local school districts must designate a Homeless Liaison.  
Homeless Education Liaison
Every school district has a local homeless education liaison. This person can help you communicate with the school and find community support services. 
Red Wing Public Schools Homeless Education Liaison:

Jane Wassink, 651-385-4700,