DRIVER EDUCATION INFORMATION
Click the link below to view complete instructions for our driver's education program.
Driver Education Information
The registration process is a two step process:
1. Complete the registration form, this form requires a parent or guardian signature. Click Registration Form to download or pick up in the Community Education office.
2. Payment must be made prior to starting class. See payment information below.
When the student's registration/payment is complete, they will be placed in their selected class as space allows. Classes will be filled on a first come, first served basis for students meeting the age requirement.
Classroom Session Options - 2019 - 2020
October 23 – November 11, M-F 2:50-5:50 PM (No class on Oct. 25, Nov. 1, 4 and 8
January 16 – February 3, M–F 2:50-5:50 PM (No class on Jan. 20, 24 and 31
February 6 - February 24, M–F 2:50-5:50 PM (No class on Feb. 14, 17 and 21)
March 31 – May 15, M-F 7-8 AM (No class on April 9, 10, 24 and May 8)
Payment can be completed in person in the Community Education office located at Red Wing High School, lower J Pod or online at Online Class Registration.
Classroom - $175
Behind the Wheel - $215
Combined Classroom and Behind the Wheel fee - $375
Parent/Guardian New Driver Classes
Parent/Guardian and New Driver classes offered at no cost during the 2019 - 2020 school year:
Tuesday, Oct. 29 – 6:30-8 PM
Thursday, Feb. 6 – 6:30-8 PM
Wednesday, April 15 – 6:30-8 PM
Steps to Earn Your MN Driving Privilege (Before Age 18)
1. Make payment and complete registration form for Driver’s Ed. classroom. Students must be 14 years and 6 months of age by the last day of class.
2. Successfully complete the Classroom Driver Education - 30 hours mandatory.
3. Pay for Behind the Wheel($215), if payment was not made at time of classroom payment.
4. Pass written permit test. Primary and Secondary ID required (State Certified Birth Certificate, Unexpired Passport, current School ID or Social Security Card—check pages 3 and 4 of Minnesota Driver’s Manual).
If students do not test at the school they must arrange testing on their own as their schedule allows. Students should preregister for the test as this will expedite the process at the exam station. You are able to print off or save an electronic version of preregistration completion to be provided to the examiner when you are at the testing center.
5. Pay Permit Fee ($13.25), pass eye exam and have photo taken for permit at License Center on Old West Main, Red Wing.
6. Behind-the-Wheel instructors will call you when an opening is available. Students are taken in birth date then pay by date order for Behind the Wheel instruction.
7. Upon completion of 6 hours behind-the-wheel instruction, student must pick up white card in Com. Ed. office—student signature required. Schedule Behind-the-Wheel test. Pass the Behind-the-Wheel test.
8. Pay license fee at License Center on Old West Main.
Driver and Vehicle Services Division (DVS) Web Site
The location of driver exam stations and their hours of operation
Telephone numbers to call to make an appointment to taker your road test
A list of stations and offices where you can apply for or renew your driver's license, permit or state identification card
A list of approved driver education schools
A list of approved driver improvement clinics
A list of places where you can register your vehicle
Information about vehicle titles, license plates and fees
A copy of the driver's manual