Driver Education Information
The Red Wing Driver Education program is approved by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety and is taught by certified licensed instructors. This class is for participants who are 14 years and 6 months old before the last class of the session. Students must be 15 to take the permit test. Payment and completion of a registration form requiring a parent signature is needed to secure a spot in the classroom. Questions: Erin Augustin - - 651-385-4566
The registration process is a two step process:
1. Complete the registration form, this form requires a parent or guardian signature. The registration form link is below in the session information section or you can pick it up in the Community Education office.
2. Payment must be made prior to starting class. See payment information below.
When the student's registration/payment is complete, they will be placed in their selected class as space allows. Classes will be filled on a first come, first served basis for students meeting the age requirement.
Classroom Sessions (in person):
Click the link below to view complete information for our Fall Driver Education Program.
DPS-DVS will offer an average of 790 class D knowledge test appointments daily at 14 regional exam stations statewide. These locations are open: St. Paul, Arden Hills, Anoka, Eagan, Plymouth, Rochester, Mankato, Marshall, Willmar, Detroit Lakes, St. Cloud, Duluth, Grand Rapids, and Bemidji. Exam stations are only offering a certain number of knowledge tests at one time in order to maintain social distancing in light of COVID-19.
The appointment-scheduling tool will be available beginning Friday, July 10. Beginning July 13, DVS exam stations will not accept walk-ins for class D knowledge tests; an appointment will be required.
To schedule an appointment:
Anyone who cannot keep an appointment should cancel their appointment online at drive.mn.gov with as much notice as possible so that appointment can be opened up for someone else.
Minnesotans will be required to complete a wellness screening before entering the exam station and should come prepared.
Parent/Guardian and New Driver classes are offered at no cost. The class will be held October 19th from 7:30-9:00pm in the RWHS Hovda Hall. Sign up using the Registration Form.
1. Make payment and complete registration form for Driver’s Ed. classroom. Students must be 14 years and 6 months of age by the last day of class.
2. Successfully complete the Classroom Driver Education - 30 hours mandatory.
3. Pay for Behind the Wheel($220), if payment was not made at time of classroom payment.
4. Pass written permit test. Primary and Secondary ID required (State Certified Birth Certificate, Unexpired Passport, current School ID or Social Security Card—check pages 3 and 4 of Minnesota Driver’s Manual).
If students do not test at the school they must arrange testing on their own as their schedule allows. Students should preregister for the test as this will expedite the process at the exam station. You are able to print off or save an electronic version of preregistration completion to be provided to the examiner when you are at the testing center.
5. Pay Permit Fee ($15.50), pass eye exam and have photo taken for permit at License Center on Old West Main, Red Wing.
6. Behind-the-Wheel instructors will call you when an opening is available. Students are taken in birth date then pay by date order for Behind the Wheel instruction.
7. Upon completion of 6 hours behind-the-wheel instruction, student must pick up white card in Com. Ed. office—student signature required. Schedule Behind-the-Wheel test. Pass the Behind-the-Wheel test.
8. Pay license fee at License Center on Old West Main.
The location of driver exam stations and their hours of operation
Telephone numbers to call to make an appointment to taker your road test
A list of stations and offices where you can apply for or renew your driver's license, permit or state identification card
A list of approved driver education schools
A list of approved driver improvement clinics
A list of places where you can register your vehicle
Information about vehicle titles, license plates and fees
A copy of the driver's manual