Driver Education Information
The Red Wing Driver Education program is approved by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety and is taught by certified licensed instructors. This class is for participants who are 14 years and 6 months old before the last class of the session. Students must be 15 to take the permit test. Payment and completion of a registration form requiring a parent signature is needed to secure a spot in the classroom. Questions: Erin Augustin - - 651-385-4566
Registration for the Winter/Spring sessions will open on December 12 at 8:00am on a first come first served basis. No early registrations will be accepted.
The registration process is a two step process:
1. Complete the Winter Registration Form, this form requires a parent or guardian signature. Download and complete the form or pick it up in the Community Education office.
2. Payment must be made prior to starting class. Payment can be completed in person in the Community Education office located at Red Wing High School, lower J Pod or online at Online Class Registration.
When the student's registration/payment is complete, they will be placed in their selected class as space allows. Classes will be filled on a first come, first served basis for students meeting the age requirement.The following Driver Classroom sessions will be offered:
January/February Session, after school:
January 23-February 7
Make up date on February 8th
April Session, before school:
No Class on April 7th
Make up date on April 25
Click the link below to view complete information for the Driver Education Program.
Driver Education Information
Class D Knowledge Test (permit test) options:
Option 1: Test at Red Wing High School during a specified testing date. Permit tests are typically offered at the end of a classroom session. To test at RWHS, the following requirements must be met:
Option 2: Test at a state run testing location. The closest locations are Red Wing, Hastings, Rochester, or Eagan. Each location requires an appointment and may have different hours of operation. There is no charge to take a test at one of these facilities. Students must be at least 15 years old on their test date.
To schedule an appointment:
Anyone who cannot keep an appointment should cancel their appointment online at drive.mn.gov with as much notice as possible so that appointment can be opened up for someone else.
Parent/Guardian and New Driver classes are offered at no cost. The class will be held February 16 from 7:30-9:00pm, location TBD. Sign up using the Registration Form.
1. Make payment and complete registration form for Driver’s Ed. classroom. Students must be 14 years and 6 months of age by the last day of class.
2. Successfully complete the Classroom Driver Education - 30 hours mandatory.
3. Pay for Behind the Wheel($220), if payment was not made at time of classroom payment.
4. Pass written permit test. Primary and Secondary ID required (State Certified Birth Certificate, Unexpired Passport, current School ID or Social Security Card—check pages 3 and 4 of Minnesota Driver’s Manual).
If students do not test at the school they must arrange testing on their own as their schedule allows. Students should preregister for the test as this will expedite the process at the exam station. You are able to print off or save an electronic version of preregistration completion to be provided to the examiner when you are at the testing center.
5. Pay Permit Fee ($15.50), pass eye exam and have photo taken for permit at License Center on Old West Main, Red Wing.
6. Behind-the-Wheel instructors will call you when an opening is available. Students are taken in birth date then pay by date order for Behind the Wheel instruction.
7. Upon completion of 6 hours behind-the-wheel instruction, student must pick up white card in Com. Ed. office—student signature required. Schedule Behind-the-Wheel test. Pass the Behind-the-Wheel test.
8. Pay license fee at License Center on Old West Main.
The Red Wing Exam Station is officially open again! It is located at 509 W 5th Street, the Goodhue County Government Center (NOT the license center on Old West Main). Both permit tests and road tests are by appointment only, and appointments can be made by calling 651-284-1000 or going to drive.mn.gov.
Permit Tests: Wednesdays, 9:00am - 11:15am
Road Tests: Wednesdays, 12:30pm - 3:00pm
The location of driver exam stations and their hours of operation
Telephone numbers to call to make an appointment to taker your road test
A list of stations and offices where you can apply for or renew your driver's license, permit or state identification card
A list of approved driver education schools
A list of approved driver improvement clinics
A list of places where you can register your vehicle
Information about vehicle titles, license plates and fees
A copy of the driver's manual